Tuesday, September 18, 2007

across the andes by A400

well, it may not have the same resonance to it as "Across the Andes by Frog", but it was still a memorable view.
An uneventful trip back to Buenos Aires - none of the planes were outrageously late, and the last LAN-Chile flight from Santiago to Buenos Aires was not only on time but half-empty.
In my jet-lagged state after 28 hours in the air I was happy to look out the window at the enormous mountains and daydream.
I read a book a few months ago by Dr Johan Reinhard about the discovery of some Inca mummies on Llullaillaco volcano. Then there was an article on Sep 7 from AP which brought the story to mind again.
Though Llullaillaco is a long way to the north, as I sleepily gazed at the view I could almost see the brightly coloured dots of people trekking to the tops of those peaks to make their sacrifices.

No comments: