Sunday, July 11, 2010

So where does Masterchef really shop?

I watched Friday's MasterChef MasterClass, hoping to see a recipe that wasn't either deconstructed McDonalds or "Death by Cholesterol".
The roast pheasant with salsify sounded great - I love game. So I got the recipe list and went to Coles to buy my ingredients. Coles, after all, is "where  Masterchefs shop".

  • 1 pheasant - NO
  • 1 bunch tarragon, large leaves picked - NO
  • 1 single-bulb garlic - NO
  • 6 salsify - NO
  • 8-9 black garlic cloves - NO
  • ½ cup flat pancetta, cut into lardons - NO

It looks like if I was going to rely on Coles for my ingredients, it was lemons poached in chicken stock with butter and lettuce.
How good is a cross-marketing campaign if the featured ingredients of a featured recipe are unobtainable from the biggest advertiser?
Note, this wasn't Coles Express, this was one of the big "new Coles" in one of the most expensive suburbs in Perth.
And you know what you get if you search for "pheasant" on the Coles website?


"Your search - pheasant - did not match any documents. 
No pages were found containing "pheasant". 

Suggestions:
  • Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.
  • Try searching for a less pretentious ingredient, you poseur - what's wrong with chicken?"

I think I'll stick to the independents - at least they can spell food...

No comments: