Sunday, February 10, 2008

I went to Camden Markets, but they were gone before I got there

20080210_camden
Memo to self - watch the news on weekends...
I was sitting at home on Sunday morning, trying to decide what to do. Perfect Perth winter day (oh wait, I'm in London)... Weirdly warm and sunny winter day - 15 degrees, clear skies. I knew I had to do something outdoors.
My first thought was to go see the Henry Moore exhibition at Kew Gardens, however I've been in London long enough to be cautious about public transport. Check the Transport for London website. Oh, disruptions on the Bakerloo line. Every other transport option takes twice as long.
Plan B - Camden Markets - that'll be fun! Circle Line is running today - catch the Tube to Great Portland Street and walk up Albany Street. All seems fine. I pass the Queen's Head and Artichoke, say hello to St Pancras and head up Oval Street to Regent's Canal.
Odd - Camden High Street is blocked to the north and I can't get to the markets. I heard a policeman mention "the pub" and I thought knowingly, "Sunday afternoon, there'll be footy riot at the pub, saw one of 'em at the Hillgate Arms the ovver week". Town crier directing pedestrians to the Stables Market. Kept walking.
Walk up Hawley Street - more police lines. Must be quite a footy game - ambulances, fire engines, emergency response teams - wait, something's not right...
Got to Leybourne St and as I surveyed the smoking ruins of the Hawley Arms ...finally... realised what was going on...
Clearly I need to watch more television and get out less...

No comments: