Monday, January 07, 2008

Country #22

Country #22, South Africa,was underwhelming. Perhaps I'm being unfair. It was the worst kind of business trip for country appreciation: airport-hotel-office-hotel-another office-airport.
But even so, with the best will in the world, Johannesburg is just not nice.
The food is so boring I actually lost weight.
You have to lock your handbag in the car boot because people will shoot you at traffic lights for 20 R & a Blackberry.
The place seems like one big office park (see unfair above).
There was no electricity for several hours each day.
I can't be bothered showing you photographs, because I might as well have been anywhere in the developed world - generic downtown with Africans.
You can't walk anywhere because people will rob you (see shootings above).
However, to be fair, the people were friendly, the hotel staff were funny & charming & patient, the beds were soft, and there was plenty of hot water. I was horribly embarassed by the Englishman who was abusing the reception staff for his inconvenience caused by lack of electricity. I wanted to brandish my passport and cry "New Zealand! Youse is all good blokes! I dunno what him Pommie bastard talking except sounds like bullshit!"
All in all, South Africa deserves another chance (but maybe not Johannesburg).

No comments: